Separate body harness and seat fixing strap
Vehicle positioning harness for children and adults with special needs such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Down Syndrome, Asperger’s disorder, developmental delay or other challenging behavioural needs where the person has problems with attention and safety. Providing safer travel and management of these loved ones when travelling in the car or other means of transport.
Alternatively, this harness can also be used to offer postural support and assist in seating the occupant in an upright sitting position for persons with physical disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy (CP) and other significant physical disabilities or complex needs where extra support and positioning is required during travel.
The body harness is worn before entering the vehicle. It is fitted with a waist belt and chest strap which fasten behind the passenger’s back with side-release buckles.
This harness will fit both single and bench seats. Suitable for bus, plane and taxi travel and children in Hip Spicas!
Access is required where the seat back joins the seat cushion as a ‘gap’ is necessary to pass the vertical fixing strap through from the front to the rear of the seat back.
Please note, to comply with safety regulations, the vehicle safety belt must always be worn over the top of the harness. The combination of the existing vehicle safety belt and the secondary harness offers added security for the passenger.
It is advisable to carry out a safety and risk assessment to first consider the problems involved and what the situation would be if the passenger is not wearing a special needs harness. Could they be in danger to themselves and to other passengers in the vehicle or even other drivers on the road if they are not safely seated during travel?
- Fast and simple harness to use
- 2-piece harness: torso section and seat strap (makes overall handling of individual easy)
- Torso section can be put on individual while they are distracted in the home, classroom or care centre before walking to vehicle
- When walking to vehicle, the carer can hold the straps of the torso section for better management
- Can be used on single and bench seats
- Can be used with booster ‘seat raiser’ cushions
- Suitable for bus, plane and taxi transport. (always get signed approval prior to plane travel)
- Gap is required between seat and backrest for strap to pass through
Houdini Harness Model 22K Extra Fixing Strap
Extra fixing strap for the Model 22 Houdini Harness. Because the Model 22 harness has 2 sections – a fixing strap that attaches to the vehicle seat, and one that attaches to the user – an extra fixing strap can be purchased, making it very useful for passengers using more than one vehicle.
The buckle can also be upgraded on the extra fixing strap using the code 4604-2222-031.
Houdini Harness Pen-Release Buckle Upgrade
Pen/Key release buckle upgrade to harness, including a safety webbing slicer tool and retractable pen device for buckle release.
Houdini vehicle harness safety kit includes:
- Lifesaver seat belt slicer/cutter
- 2x window stickers
Product code: 4604-0010-017
|7 years to Adult
|7 years to Adult
- Hand wash only – in warm water up to 70/80 degrees.
- Use mild detergent/anti-bacterial liquid wash.
- Mild disinfectant can be used.
- Do not use bleach
- Do not tumble dry
Does this harness require a vehicle tether point?
No. This harness does not require any tethering; it is not a safety harness. It is simply attached to the vehicle seat with the securing straps.
If I can’t pass the strap between the seat and the backrest, what can I do?
This can be common. Most vehicles have a carpet flap at the rear which prevents the straps coming vertically around the seat. In virtually all cases the carpet can be cut with a pair of scissors or a knife to provide access through.
How do I Care for my Harness when it needs washing?
- Harnesses must be cleaned by Hand washing only, in warm water up to 70 or 80 degrees.
- Use a mild detergent/anti-bacterial liquid wash.
- Mild disinfectant can be used.
- Do not use Bleach or Tumble Dry your harness.
I just wanted to let you know that the car harness has been a great success with my client and it has made an enormous difference to his quality of life and especially his ability to get out of the house and back to school this term.
– Occupational Therapist, NSW Australia
The Houdini 22 is working really well for this active client. What the family really loves about it is, it only has 2 buckles when attaching him into the car. This child gets agitated if it takes too long to transfer him in or out of the car, and this harness is really quick to use. We put the torso section of the harness on him inside the house (where he can’t run away) and then hold on to the harness while walking him out to the car and just click it in. We love this as it is really easy to use. When he gets to school, he is always in a hurry – we just unclick it and he runs into the classroom and the teacher takes the harness off!
– Occupational Therapist, Wanganui NZ